Aug 23, 2006

Become a Walk Photographer: How & Why to Walk Your City, Part 2

"The little Sony Cyber-shot doesn't have beaucoup pixels, only 2.1 meg -- but that's enough..." – Grandma J, Walk Photographer

Walktopia: How did you come up with the idea to bring a camera along on your citywalks? By the way, the camera looks like a spiffy one and your pictures are great.

GJ: In the past, I always had someone to tell about my little adventures and discoveries -- that was part of the pleasure of my kind of walking. In Prescott, I needed an outlet to share my pleasure in small things. Which meant I had to learn to use the camera and begin writing again (I was a commercial journalist for years and years).

The little Sony Cyber-shot doesn't have beaucoup pixels, like the newer cameras, only 2.1 meg -- but that is enough for a full page print or for the Web. My only wish is for more zoom power (you get much better close-ups with a long focal-length zoom.) I'd say the real secret to better pictures is to always get as close to the subject as possible. And I'm still learning the little camera's bells and whistles -- it has a lot of 'em.

Instant Refresher: Tips for Great Location Photos by Derrick Story, Podcast, 8/06

Digital Photography Tips by Derrick Story, Article, 9/05

Tips for Great Pictures by Kodak, Article, 10/04

Tags: , ,
, ,